Monday, August 17, 2009

Tobacco Road (Turns Out To Be a Long Road -- So Pack Snacks)

Someone once told me, "You can't make a room the color you want it to be until you acknowledge you hate it's existing color." Basic advice, it seems. But, this person was alluding to the fact that we can't make major changes in our life before we realize we don't like our current situations.

I have taken the wisdom to a whole new level, albeit, a more basic one.

Inspired by The Nester, of course, and the impending arrival of Anne and Ellen, I was determined to update the furniture and paint in our builder beige guest room.

I went to Lowes, with the code for Tobacco Road -- a paint color that is no longer sold, but can be custom-mixed -- in hand. Back at home, I set up shop and went to town. From the very first stroke of paint, I'm thinking the color is way more brownie and far less snickerdoodle. Tobacco is nowhere in sight -- but who knows what tobacco is supposed to look like? Not one to easily admit I am wrong, I tarried on. I painted big lines. I trimmed out tiny corners. My back was aching. My craving for chocolate continually growing. But -- this is Tobacco Road I told myself. I did not just waste money on the wrong color.Finally, when the whole room was nearly complete, I decided maybe I should double-check the code for the paint color.

It was so not the right color.
Insert Dan smirking here.

No worries. Remember, I am woman, hear me roar? Same day I go back to Lowes. Yes, sir, I was just in here. But, I need more paint. No, not the color all over my clothes. A different one. Yes, for the same room. STOP judging me, sir. And, while you're at it, what aisle is primer on?

Same day. I prime the room. I go to church and volunteer with the youth. I come home and I paint the room (for the third time in one day) Tobacco Road. Dan says the color gives him a craving to light one up. I am just glad I don't want brownies anymore.



Mission complete.

Well, almost. I need white matelasse bedspreads. And, I would like to monogram the pillows. But those are just details, right?

Point being, before you can create the life you want, you have to acknowledge you bought the wrong color of paint.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Hahahahaha, I love it. We have a "goldish-orange" room that is instead very gold and very bright. We painted the whole room going, 'I don't think this is right'. We have yet to repaint it, but that is probably because we hardly go in there unless we have guests...at which point we apologize for the insane gold brightness that is the room color :-)

Andrew and Jennifer said...

Love it Katie - so determined!! How did you get through with the WHOLE room before deciding it wasn't the right color?!

Katie Reeder said...

I am stubborn...I think I knew it was the wrong color the whole time, but it's so hard to admit you are wrong!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin